S.D.’s beef certification needs more time on grill
We learn from an Associated Press report that the South Dakota Certified Beef program, launched eight years ago with mighty fanfare during the Rounds administration, has fallen short of its goal of helping producers in the state sell state-branded beef as a premium product for higher prices.
Baxter Black, DVM: The Legend of the Bad Guys
The West was peppered with bad guys
Whose conduct was misunderstood
Yet, today we treat them as heroes
Like they were a Robin Hood.
Give Calves a Boost
About 90 percent of beef calves get adequate levels of colostrum. What’s going omm with the other 10 percent?
Quarantine to Ward off the Spread of Warts
Dr. Ken McMillan
DTN/The Progressive Farmer
Cattle face warts is a treatable, but contagious condition. It underscores why new animals on the farm should be quarantined.
Determining AI Conception Rates
South Dakota Ag Connection
Commercially available blood tests to predict pregnancy are accurate and an inexpensive tool cattle producers can use to determine their AI conception rate, according to new research conducted at South Dakota State University.
Does Temporary Calf Removal for timed AI affect reproduction and calf performance?
World of Ranching
Over three years, in Florida, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Mississippi, 679 Angus or Brangus cow-calf pairs were synchronized with the 7-day CO-Synch+CIDR protocol.
In one experiment, with dams averaging 68 days postpartum, one-half of the suckling calves were removed from their dams for the 72 hours before timed AI and one-half of the calves remained with their dams.
University beef teaches students the farm-to-plate chain
Missouri State University is selling the beef raised on its 3,300-acre ranch to teach students about the beef industry’s farm-to-plate process.
Value-Added Programs Essential for Getting Top Cattle Dollar
Oklahoma Farm Report
Getting top dollar for their cattle is not as difficult as some producers might believe, says Beef Value Enhancement Specialist Gant Mourer of Oklahoma State University.
No Farm Bill Likely To Really Benefit Cattle Producers
One of humanity’s oldest occupations, agriculture hasn’t been in vogue for quite some time. However, it’s perceived by most people to be a noble, but not an overly financially rewarding, occupation; and Americans generally hold farmers in high regard.
Livestock veterinarians in demand
Charleston Daily Mail
Meghan Marsh would love nothing more than to become a large animal veterinarian after she applies to veterinary school this fall, although she knows the hard work that goes into the task of caring for livestock.
More than one path to cattle profit
High Plains Journal
Crossbreeding may fit most producers, but it is not the only logical path, says a leading cattle feeder and an animal scientist.